Home Made Yogurt
If you have wondered if you can make yogurt at home and have been afraid to try - well here it is. I tried it 3 times then I succeeded. Making yogurt at home means that yogurt costs 30% of what you may spend at the grocery store. Your yogurt does not contain undesirable added salt or preservatives. What you will need. 1/2 gallon milk from the grocery store Cultured yogurt or yogurt starter pills Powdered milk Thermometer Whisk
1) Place the milk in a slow cooker ( or Crock Pot) on high heat and heat until 170F. Stir occasionally to make sure the heat is evenly distributed.
2) Remove the pot and place it in a bath of ice water and stir until the temperature is 110F. Then add 3 tablespoons of cultured yogurt and stir well. Then add 2 tablespoons of Dry milk.
3) Turn on the inside light of the oven and heat the oven to 110F.
4) Place the pot in the oven and turn off the heat but leave the inside light on to keep the inside of the oven at 106F.
5) Leave in the oven for 9 to 12 hours. The longer you leave in the oven the tarter and tangier it becomes.
6) Remove from the oven. Cover the pot and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
7) Remove from the refrigerator and place a toothpick in it to see that it will not fall.
Enjoy your homemade yogurt. Tell your friends.